Choosing an Assisted Living Facility
When the need for assisted long-term care becomes acute, many individuals and their families turn to assisted living facilities, such as nursing and retirement homes.
Assisted living/residential care services typically include:
- Assistance with daily living activities, such as: bathing, dressing, eating, toileting
- Help with medications
Choosing the right residence for you or your loved one takes time and careful consideration.
Choosing an assisted living residence
It’s always best to visit several assisted living or residential care facilities before making a choice. Each assisted living facility offers its varying services and fees and each has its own unique atmosphere.
When visiting the facilities be sure to examine the facility for cleanliness; lighting, adequate handrails, especially in bathrooms, and ways patients can call for help in an emergency. Observe the staff and their interaction with residents. Are they respectful and friendly? And talk to residents. Are they satisfied with the accommodations, care received, and life at the assisted living facility?
Ask these questions when visiting the facilities:
- What types of accommodations are offered?
- What types of services are available?
- Are the services provided by employees or contractors?
- How much input do residents have in their daily schedules and care?
- What is included in the rate? What services are extra?
- What social and recreational activities exist?
- What level of care does the facility provide? Will you have to move if you need more care later on?
- What is the facility’s licensing status? Ask to see a recent state licensing inspection report.
Long Term Care Insurance and Assisted Living Facilities
For many individuals or families considering an assisted living facility, a major limiting factor is their budget.
Many LTCI policies do cover assisted living facilities and residential care facilities. Be sure to review your LTC policy to determine if assisted living facilities are covered as part of your insurance.
To start planning for the future, use the form above to generate free online LTCI quotes.